Best YouTube channel name ideas 2022 (+ lists)
Written by: Dexxter ClarkIn this article 5 actionable steps way to find an amazing YouTube channel name AND a list of 500+ cool channel names up for grabs.
Also ideas, tips, suggestions and options to pick a cool unique YouTube channel name yourself in niches like couples, gaming, food, education and vlog channels.
What is a good YouTube channel name?
By now you probably googled your way to tens (if not hundreds) of websites with tips on how to choose a proper YouTube channel name.
The problem however is, the tips are basically all the same and help you absolutely no further whatsoever.
Those pages are perfectly fine in telling you what your YouTube channel name should and shouldn`t be, but you already know that because you are perfectly capable of deciding what is and isn’t a good YouTube channel name.
Most websites skip a few steps, the most important ones.
You need ideas or a process to come up with channel name ideas!
So in this article I want to take a different approach, the creative approach to get enough ideas for YouTube channel names, so you can find one that isn’t taken.
Do YouTube channel names matter?Yes they do.
Why are YouTube channel names important?
For three reasons:
1. Identify who you are
If you are a brand, choose your brand name.
Or choose a name,topic, thing or emotion that associates you with your brand.
2. A good channel name can encourage people to subscribe
A good channel name is descriptive and captures the content of a YouTube channel.
Preferably your channel name is easy to remember.
Preferably your YouTube channel name sparks curiosity, so people want to subscribe.
Viewers see your comments on other YouTube videos.
Viewers see also your channel name in the YouTube search engine.
3. A good channel name increases your discoverability in the YouTube search engine
If people search information about music production, they probably type in “music production”.
Or maybe even more specific: “music production channel”.
If your channel name has the search term in the name, you have a bigger chance of popping up high in the search results.
Not only your channel, but also your videos will pop up.
If you want help with picking a good YouTube channel name, read on.
Most used YouTube channel namesThe most used channel names in order of recommendation are:
|Brand||Cole’s Cola||Recommended to build brand awareness, otherwise choose descriptive.|
|Descriptive||Puppet sock adventures||Recommended. People know exactly what they get when they subscribe.|
|Name||Geoffrey Clooney||Not recommended, unless you are a celebrity or people are actually searching for your name. In all other circumstances your name says nothing about your channel.|
“Josh Hendrix” says nothing about your video content.
If you do want to use your name, use it in combination with a description:
“Josh Hendrix gaming” has your name and type of content in your channel name.
Leave no confusion for the viewer to what your channel is about, so it is easier for the viewer to decide to subscribe.
For vlogging channel, it is really common to choose your name as your YouTube channel name.
I still recommend to target it more specific to the goal(s) of the content.
If your goal is to make people laugh “fun with Josh Hamilton” is a good title, instead of just “Josh Hamilton”.
If my goal for example is to give people a positive feeling, when I have an informative YouTube channel about websites, “The bright site of life” would be a good name.
A vlogging channel name called “my life” is too broad and general.
Why would people care about your life?
Same with “my take on [topic]”
Why would people care about your opinion?
Give viewers a reason to watch or follow you.
“The bright site of life” gives a reason to watch and follow.
“The life of a procrastinator” says something about your personality.
A lot of people can identity, which makes you instantly more likable.
Specific ideas for vlogging channels later in this article.
Don’t get me wrong, you will get there with a non-descriptive YouTube channel name.
But why don’t you want to stack the odds in your favor?
Steps to choose a great YouTube channel name
1. Don’t wait for an ideaBefore we start, if you think you have to wait for a good channel name before you can start with YouTube, you are wrong!
Just go with a temporary alias (or your real name) for now, like “Dexxter’s Channel”.
Start making videos right away and choose a good channel name later.
You are able to change your YouTube channel if you want to.
Just hold off on choosing your personal url slug for a while, so you choose https://youtube.com/dexxterclark over https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVQcskev6BC9LfdOTUCehdw/
2. Write down topics associated with your channelWrite down a list of all the topics associated with the video you (want to) make, your keywords.
Don’t think in terms of channel good (or bad) YouTube channel names, think in terms of topics.
This is the brainstorm part of the process where there is no place for negativity, because is blocks the creative flow.
The creative juices need to be flowing and later we are going to filter the good from the bad.
Also think of words that are synonyms of each of other.
The word “course" has somewhat the same meaning as “tutorial”, “school”, “learning” or “masterclass".
The trick is to get as many as you can: 100, 200, 500 … the more you have, the more you have to choose from later.
Don’t try to do this in ten minutes, do this over the course of a week.
For example, for my music production YouTube channel, it would be:
music producer, music producer, producing music, making music, DAW, course, tutorial, learning, school, learning, music making software, plugins, compressor, side chaining, wave forms, sound, music, noise, white noise, gate, fade, pop, click, kick, topkick, bass, mix, mixing, LFO, envelope, equipment, gear, fader, bit, sample, samples, samplerate … etc
These are only the ones I came up with in ten minutes :)
The funny thing is… these are search terms you can use in your YouTube videos and channel description.
So sitting down to get this right, is actually a double edged sword.
3. Mix and match ideas + channel name listNow we are going to do the fun part: actually making the channel name.
Take the list you have made in the previous step and try if they make sense when you combine the keywords.
For my music production channel for example: “noise gate" is a good fit, but “white noise DAW” not-so-much.
Write down all the combinations that fit.
Again, we need as many possible combinations for later.
Don’t apply a heavy filter, only see if they linguistically make sense.
The creative juices need to keep flowing.
Take a couple of minutes a day over the course of a week.
The funny thing is, throughout the week you will come up with more combinations and maybe even extra keywords you never thought of in step two.
All new ideas are welcome, write them down as well.
To make your life a bit easier I’ve assembled a list with extra “paste" words.
Combine these words with the ideas you came up with in step two.
Here is a YouTube channel name list for ideas:
- ... channel
- … tube
- ... video
- … cast
- ... net
- … hub
- ... point
- ... strategy
- ... factor
- ... report
- ... plaza
- ... wise
- … direct
- ... place
- … town
- ... ready
- .... myth
- … cloud
- … gods
- … fan(s)
- … chasers
- … artist
- chasing …
- wild …
- … friends
- battle of the …
- … battle
- before …
- after …
- devine …
- generation …
- … fans
- … reputation
- … boss
- … identity
- the way of (the) …
- … devil(s)
- … gone mad
- … gone wild
- … team
- team …
- … fest
- sweet …
- … legend(s)
- .... finders
- .... brothers/sisters/siblings
- … boys/girls
- … men/women
- ... crazy
- ... stars
- … masters
- … revolution / evolution
- … tutorials
- learning …
- … school
- … college
- … for beginners
- … for noobs
- … software
- … magic
- magic …
- amazing …
- wonderful …
- top …
- favorite …
- … experts
- … resource
- … equipment
- … gear
- … chronicle
- … freedom
- … planet
- … world
- … land
- …. nation
- … valley
- … city
- … center
- … shack
- … wall
- … stop
- … shop
- … studio
- … perks
- … story
- … mountain
- … collector(s)
- … bashers
- … smashers
- … busters
- … changers
- … chasers
- … plan
- … tricks / tricksters
- … picks
- … resource
- … basics
- vital …
- … cheaters
- … bank
- … thrive
- … fighters
- … HQ
- … rabbit (or any other animal)
- … minstrels
- … heroes
- … mania
- … madness
- … maniacs
- … lab
- … in motion
- … zone
- … state
- state of …
- … king
- king of …
- … major
- major …
- Duke of …
- … bridge
- … builders
- … creators
- …. hotel
- … business
- … walkers
- … inc.
- … XL
- … amplifier
- … domain
- … in style
- … industry
- … architect
- … gallery
- … with fame
- … with [your name]
- … by [your name]
- a bite of …
- a bit of …
- a piece of …
- always summer with …
- … tools
- … concepts
- … room
- the brain of [your name]
- with [your name]
- … forgery
- in trouble with …
- … intriges
- forever …
- … forever
- … captured
- [your name]’s …
- …. ideas
- … watchers
- simply …
- … special
- special …
- super …
- discover …
- pro …
- … in detail
- top …
- the happy …
- … express
- … train
- … toolkit
- … war(s)
If you want to go the easy route, try the free YouTube channel name generator on this website https://www.socialvideoplaza.com/en/tools/channel-name-generator
For catchy titles, try alliterations (words that start with the same letter).
For example: Bitmap Bros, Bob`s Burgers, Sample Smashers, Mix Masters (this one is particularly good, because mastering is also part of the music production process).
Try the “paste words” with your own first name.
Maybe you’ll come up with something useful.
Do (or did) you have a nickname growing up?
(by your friends, parents, boyfriend, girlfriend)
4. Make stuff up
Let’s do another creative round: make stuff up.
The company name “Google” is a made-up word (it’s hard to believe, I know).
Because it’s made up, it is unique and easy to trademark.
The name “Goop” by Gwyneth Palthrow is also made up.
Also “pewdiepie” isn’t exactly a word you can find the Oxford English dictionary.
Sometimes it helps to spell words phonetically (literally spell words as they are pronounced).
“biz" is the abbreviation for “business”, but everyone knows what you mean.
Try to see if you can come up with 20+ (preferably more) made up names over the course of a week.
5. Separate the good, from the bad and the uglyNow (and only now) we are going to filter for bad YouTube channel names.
Some guidelines to use:
- the .com domain name needs to be available
- the channel name needs to be somewhat unique
- no abbreviations, they are hard to remember
- no difficult words, although fancy words might spark interest (or have a special meaning), be careful, it’s a slippery slope. You want people to be able to find you when they type in your name in YouTube or Google.
- the name needs to be easy to spell, if someone hears it, they know how to spell it. Again, you want people to be able to find you when they type in your name in YouTube or Google.
- no words or word combinations that feel too forced
- no name that has too many numbers or symbols
- the name needs to be short and preferably not more than three syllables.
- profanity is of course out of the question. Although I have to admit that "Sample Sluts" is kind of a funny name for a music production YouTube channel. YouTube is very sensitive to profanity.
Internal channel names and visible namesYouTube uses internal channel names and visible channel names.
This internal channel name is not visible to viewers (or you for that matter).
When you choose a visible channel name, YouTube will generate an internal channel name for you based on your visible channel name.
If you choose “Ben’s super channel”, it will become something like this “firstname.lastname@example.org”.
You can’t choose or change your internal channel name, but you can change your visible channel name.
These internal channel names are unique, so no 2 YouTube users can have that same internal channel name, just like the url slug you choose.
The visible channel names don’t have to be unique, 100 users can all name their channel “bleep” without any trouble.
Why am I saying this?
Well, if you choose your visible channel name for the first time, it is useful to use a topic in your visible channel name.
There is some software like Final Cut Pro that shows only shows the internal channel name.
If you have multiple YouTube channels (like most YouTube creators have), it is hard to figure out which channel is which (just like I have).
When you have a topic in your channel name (don’t worry you can change the visible channel name later).
Ideas and lists for specific nichesI have compiled lists for specific niches to get you started.
If the list is not giving what you are looking for, I also added ideas and associations to get the creative juices flowing.
YouTube channel name ideas for gamingIdeas:
- Computer, gamer or game development terms.
- Genres of games (shooter, platform, strategy, simulation, ...)
- What do you need for gaming?
- Names of computer consoles, variation on a name of a game (be careful regarding copyright issues).
computer, bits, bytes, keyboards, mice, buttons, virtual, headset, chair, hero, avator, streaming, game controller, bluetooth, game room, geeks, gaming tournaments, entertainment, relaxing, losing, winning, AFK (away from keyboard)
- Button Smasher
- Numb thumbs
- Gentle Gamer
- Headset Hero
- Headset Heaven
- Headset Habitat / Home
- Headset Hub
- Gorgeous Gamer
- Avatar auditions
- 3D Josh (if your name is Josh – but also funny if your name Harry or Steve)
- Hero Hank
- Gamer Gear
- Gamer Guide
- Joystick Josh
- Go to Gamer
- Pewdiepie (it maybe taken already …)
- Game Guru
- Bit Barbie
- DIY Gamer
- Go Gamer
- Chubby Gamer
- Guardian Gamer
- Groovy Gamer
- Controller Crazy
- Craving Controllers
- Byte size
- Bits and pieces
- You suck at gaming
- wireless controller
- geeky gamer
- game room (hero)
- always a winner when losing
- once a winner, always a winner
YouTube channel name ideas for technology and techIdeas:
- Something with cables
- Keyboard letters
- flickering lights
- glowing monitor
- programming terms (OOP, casting, introspection, concatenation,...)tyle
Internet, wire, telephone, browser, software, computer, hardware, pci-e, monitor, mouse, keyboard, speaker, apple, windows, linux, wifi, cable, money, bits, bytes, bluetooth, programming, integer, floating point, boolean, the cloud, pc parts, fan, printer, silicon, cpu, processor, memory, phone, clock cycles, gigaflop, teraflop, gigabyte, megabyte
- keyboard hero
- keyboard jammer
- keyboard warrior
- keyboard surfer
- boolean brothers
- nerds gone wild
- divine bits/bytes
- cavemen in the cloud
- byte chaser
- god of printers/mice/keyboards
- the byte identity
- bits for noobs
- keyboard chronicles
- web smasher
- memory mapping
- monitor monster/monkey
- memory maniac
- king of the keyboard
- a bit of [your name]
YouTube channel name ideas for travelIdeas:
- Things you need or encounter during travel.
- Preparations for traveling
- Traveling lifestyle
Plane, wings, altitude, stewardess, car, bus, suitcase, suitcase is your room, living out of a suitcase, packing up your home every time, unpacking, corners of the world, abroad, van, hotel, sightseeing, treasures, culture differences, couch surfing, clean socks, shoes, towel, toothbrush, airport, moving a lot, your home is everywhere, citizen of the world, habitat, borders, customs, passport, eating strange food, trek, tropics, tourism, buildings, backpacking, galaxy, exploring, jungle, atlas, maps, route, import, export, star-rating of hotel room
- abroad broad
- adventures abroad
- van life
- [country] life
- van fan
- suitcase suckers
- hotel hobbyists
- travel treats
- transit travel
- travel tricks
- travel terror
- climb every mountain
- no mountain to high
- taking the world by storm
- airport junkies
- airport angels
- airport afterburner
- travel tech (perfect niche for gadgets/websites you need during travel)
- timeless travel
- travel trail
- travel trailblazer
- sightseeing the world
- tactile travel
- travel taste
- travel talks
- travel treasures
- travel topics
- terra(form) travel
- travel turismo
- travel trainer
- travel type
- airport aware
- airport academy
- airport area
- import export
- 5 star travels
- travel stars
- hotel surfers
- Hotel HQ
- broad horizons
- vertical horizons (you have been to the side of the planet)
- habitat heroes
- [name] unpacked
YouTube channel name ideas for couplesIdeas:
- Combinations of things that have to do with love or partnership, or things couples do.
- Your and your name combined with an addition, like “Dan and Felicity together (forever)”.
- The first letters of your names (D & S, R + V, …)
- Mathematical and punctuation symbols like + / * &
- Combinations of parts (or letters) of names: daniel + joyce = djoyce or DanCe
- Words like: duo, dual, twice, twins, couple, husband, wife, bf, gf
- Two things/element that contradict, complement or attract each other, like “fire and ice” or “Dan and Felicity apart together”.
- Relation or dating terms, like LAT (living apart together)
ring, dating, marrying, married life, children, family, love, vlog, romance, flowers, honeymoon, vacation, valentines day, housewife, wife, husband, boyfriend, girlfriend, compromise, dad, mom, home, suburbs, snacks, going out, theme park, nursery rhymes, paradise, cuddling, hugging, go to the movies, holding hands, caress, pets, sweethearts
- life (long) lovers
- love [name]
- hug my husband / housewife / boyfriend / girlfriend
- husband at home
- cuddle my girlfriend
- couples paradise
- trouble in paradise
- couple productions
- couples therapy
- housewife adventures
- housewives in the wild
- housewives go wild
- housewife / husband HQ
- housewife / husband central
- holding hands
- havoc with my husband / boyfriend / girlfriend
- married man
- my husband vlogs
- husband heaven
- I heart my husband
- smiling in the suburbs
- suburb spirits
- suburb spirituality
- one happy family
- family affairs
- husband material / wife material
- My BF and Me
- family time
- child challenge
- family friend
- family friendly
- child proof
- [you] adventures
- [you] and [partner]
- [you] and [partner] on social
- [you] vs [partner]
- [you] and [partner] on tour
- dynamic duo
- … affairs
- sweetheart … (express, incorporated, etc …)
- happy/skydiving/shopping/swimming/ … couple
- couple of things to talk about
- couple of bozos
- twice as good
- 1+1 = 3
- 2 captions on 1 ship
- childhood/high school sweethearts
- what is the difference
- the two of us
- 3 is a crowd
- ... duo
YouTube channel name ideas for food & cookingIdeas:
- Things to do regarding to cooking, or things to cook.
- Country of origin (China, India, Australia, France, Italy, Spain, …) and cultures.
- Recipes, variations / combinations of recipes.
- Things to do with taste (sour, sweet, hot, … )
- Healthy and fit.
- Easy meals.
- Courses (entree, main course, desert)
- Cooking terms like glazing, fruiting, poaching, pinch, grill, blanche, sterilize.
- Wordplay on wok (walk).
Cook, chefs hat, chef, whisk, spoon, fork, knife, restaurant, fit, healthy, kitchen, knife, meals, frost, sugar, ice, slaw, garnish, barbecue, gravy boat, … of the day, specials, serving, market, grocery shopping, ingredients, bread, desert
- home restaurant / restaurant at home
- cooking XL / XS
- pro amateur
- kitchen hero
- clear the counter
- Cooking fantasies
- Kitchen knight
- knife knight
- start kitchen
- cooking classes
- cooking chaos
- clever cooking
- cooking confessions
- cooking castle
- creative cooking
- custom cooking
- creative in the kitchen
- tasty tasks
- tasty treats
- country cooking / cooking country
- cooking explained
- cooking made easy
- cooking camp
- traditional [country] cooking
- cooking for newbies
- lukewarm Luke (can also work for Lucas or a variation of Luke that rhymes)
- 180 degrees a cook
- 365 days a cook
- BBQ barbie
- Casa del Cooking / Cooking a la casa
- cooking craze
- crave my cooking
- cook with me
- spoon with me
- spooning soon
- spoon soul
- my favorite meal
- spoon sentiment
- spoon soldier
- ingredient identity
- pasta professionals
- delightful dishes
- food for thought
- food on my mind
- lick my finger (my personal favorite)
- chocolate monkey (or any other food / animal)
- chocolate teddybear (or any other food)
YouTube channel name ideas for education / studyIdeas:
- Hurdles and challenges to overcome.
- Where do you go to school?
- Variations on school (tutorial, teachings, courses etc)
- The topic of the information you share (car fixing techniques, music production etc.)
- Referrals to knowledge
- Referrals to the army (captain, general, major …) combined with a knowledge referral. The host is the captain/general/major/...
School, education, class, classroom, teacher, college, high school, masterclass, books, computers/laptop, graduation, school bus, kids, information, knowledge, square academic cap, curiosity, time, future, wise, wise old man, owl, brain, think, thought, tales of the past, stories, skill, tutor, tutorial, preceptor, taskmaster, mental, inspiration, future generation, IQ, physics, dilemmas, Schrödinger`s cat, not dumb, intelligent, ideas, science, sci, physics, brilliant, boost, breeding knowledge, brainz, amazing, new knowledge, law of physics, Einstein, Kant, philosophy, chicken or the egg, smart(er), trivia, glasses, know-how, know-it-all, intel, intelligence, miracles, wonders
- in a nutshell
- tutorial hero
- info nuggets
- [name] teaches [topic]
- [topic] by [name]
- learning [topic]
- curiosity satisfied
- [topic] academy / school / tutorials / teacher / made easy / explained / for beginners
- edu owl
- nothing too difficult
- our owl
- [topic] for the future
- food for thought
- brain tease(rs)
- think tank
- think tribe
- [topic] on fire
- brain on fire
- turbo thinker
- IQ spark
- IQ challenge
- [topic] whisperer
- Schrödinger`s dog, canary, parrot (or pussy – pun intended)
- brain conductor
- rain station
- brain tickets
- brain academy
- science and physics
- nothing physical / purely physical
- physical attraction / physics attraction
- breeze your brain / brain breeze
- brain busters
- brilliant brains
- purple brain
- brainstorm / brain blizzard
- brain busters
- bang my brain
- brain boost / boost my brain
- shiny and bright / bright and shiny
- brain buzz
- brainy bunch
- backyard brains
- head HQ
- brain bargains
- amaze me
- baffled (brains)
- reset my brain / reprogram my brain
- [topic] on my mind
- Zweistein (or any variation on Einstein)
- smarter [topic]
- smarter ASAP
- the wise wizard
- brain fart
- brain bible
- intelli-gents (men who are intelligent)
- brain fest
- the missing element
- [topic] facts
- info magnet / fact magnet
- trivial trivia
- every day wiser
- wisdom comes with age
- like fine wine (like fine wine you get better with age)
- brain food
- brain snacks
- mental food
- mental snacks
- general knowledge (you are the knowledge-army-general)
- major upside
- caption know-how
- ahead of the rest / public
- public knowledge
- challenge yourself
- everyday miracles
- wonders of the world
- keep wondering why / wonder why / why wonder
YouTube channel name ideas for vlogsWhat should I name my vlog?
Naming a vlogging channel is particularly challenging I found when writing this article.
You want to go the personal angle with a name that says something about who you are.
This improves curiosity, likability and give viewers a reason to subscribe.
If you are looking for travel vlog tips, check out the travel ideas in this article.
- Try to prevent using only your own name/nickname.
- Combinations of things you do on a daily or weekly basis.
- Do something with one of your personality traits (improves likability)
- Spark an emotion (happy, positive, angry, confused, ..)
- Use one of your activities, hobbies or job (improves likability)
- Use your city/state/country
- Use seasons of the year
- Something that contradicts (“black snow”) when you live in Alaska
- Your role in the family (father, mother, brother, sister, nephew, niece, aunt, uncle)
- Use typical YouTube terms like GRWM or OOTD in your channel name (ideas you can find in the glossary https://www.socialvideoplaza.com/en/terminology-glossary )
camera, holding camera, camera stand, video, microphone, life, work, live, live action, followers, youtube, home studio, city, activities, fun, girlfriend/boyfriend, couple, mom/dad, day, pets, young, family, family visits, diary, scene, recording, everyday stuff (grocery shopping)
- Live with a [personality trait]
- Start your day good with [name]
- Very Harry
- get a life, dude (emotional trigger)
- get alive (for an adventurous vlog)
- fun with [name] (emo trigger)
- summer with [name] (emo trigger)
- the bright side of [name]
- The life of a [personality trait] (says something about your personality)
- the [emotion] [job] (“the angry dishwasher”)
- [emotion] [name] (“happy Josh”)
- everyday is a challenge (emo trigger)
- surviving high school (emo trigger)
- [name] goes [activity] (“josh goes to school”)
- Stylin’ [name]
- A farmer’s life
- Dance through life
- the confused hamster
- Uncle Bob
- Mom goes grocery shopping
- Shopaholic here
Want free YouTube tips and tricks?
Check out the YouTube channel for this website. (opens YouTube in new tab)
Share this articleIf you took value from this article, please share it on social media.